Join Emma as she live blogs about the Student Representative Council’s (SRC) happenings; live from their second meeting of the year.
Refresh the page to see the latest updates.
7:01 pm Meeting closed
Michael moves that the SRC re-acredit to NUS with an accreditation fee of $1,500. Nick seconds. Passed unanimously.
6:56 Reporting back from Academic Senate (Jack and Grant)
6:53 pm Grant Murray moves that Western SRC allocate up to $1000 for catering food for any SARF and/or PRF convened by Western SRC in 2017. Gerard seconds.
6:50 pm Charuni – Discussion of International Student Scholarship
Gerard and Charuni dicuss forming a working party and deffer discussion to online comminication.
6:49 pm Following sent to online communication:
6pm Report from Sophie Johnston (President) and Jill Molloy (National Welfare Officer) National Union of Students
They have a presentation and will take questions from reps after (Feeling a little bit sorry for them right now… they sort of just sat and awkwardly watched the first part of the meeting).
Q AND A with NUS
Here’s a quick wrap-up:
Concerns about time raised. Will the SRC maintain quorum? Will we ever get dinner? Stay tuned…
Discussion of Hawkesbury Hell article and report from Michelle Hayter-Falconer (Senior Coordinator, Equity & Diversity)
We did a thing, some people don’t like it.
The following are remarks made by others with gifs depicting my reaction:
Letter from Faelan (Hawkesbury Queer Officer): The post made by the HSCC in response to the W’SUP article was hasty.
Michelle: We need to move forward together. New 3 year LGBT+ strategy. Working with students, Queer Collective, ALLY network and staff. The way that the issue was exposed had accidentally adverse consequences.
Gerard walks in
Gerard: SRC didn’t want to publish it, they agreed not to publish it, they wanted to go to Michael Burgess first.
Michelle: Before the article was released online university had freed students from their contract. Ellen Brackenreg agreed to more security and support. They were offered assistance (including financial support) to move off campus. Assures us that the uni is doing a bunch of stuff (I lost track… there was a lot of back and forth). We want the students and staff at Hawkesbury to know that we stand behind them. There’s going to be an event at Hawkesbury that will launch the uni’s new strategy (but what about everywhere else…). If things aren’t working out, we need a fail-safe.
MEETING STARTS (finally) 5:15
Apologies: one from Campbelltown
Confirmation of previous meeting’s minutes
Yep… That happened
The start of the meeting is delayed because Gerard is missing…
Attendees so far..:
Tonight’s Agenda (will they stick to it? Stay tuned):
STANDING AGENDA ITEMS
1. Welcome & Apologies
2. Acknowledgement of traditional custodians of the land
3. Confirmation of previous meeting’s minutes
a. Business/Action items arising from previous minutes
i. Attendance from reps from NUS (SRC)
ii. Gerard to contact Assoc. Prof. Paul Wormell re: SRC appointment to Academic Senate
iii. Recommendation that SCC/SRC Secretaries consistently exchange information as per procedures
iv. Michael Wright to distribute survey results to the SRC
v. Social media policy motion on notice deferred to online (Grant)
vi. Common lunch hour campaign discussion deferred to online (Vanessa)
vii. Discuss with NTEU details of the EVRS (SRC/Delegate)
SPECIAL AGENDA ITEMS
4. Report from the Student Experience Office – Michael Burgess (CSEO) or appointed delegate
5. Discussion of Hawkesbury Hell article joined by Luce De Buitleir Andrews (Director of The Academy and Ally Network Co-Convener)
6. Report from Michelle Hayter-Falconer (Senior Coordinator, Equity & Diversity)
7. Report from Sophie Johnston (President) and Jill Molloy (National Welfare Officer) National Union of Students
Meal and Comfort Break – 10 min
STANDING AGENDA ITEMS
8. Report from the President, Student Representative Council
9. Report from Manager, Student Representation and Participation
10. Report from SCC Chairs or representatives
NEW BUSINESS OF THE COUNCIL
11. Grant – Discussion of the Co-op demonstration and future support of other association’s actions.
12. Charuni – Discussion of International Student Scholarship
13. Grant – Motion for funding for catering the SARF and PRF.
a. The motion will read that, Grant Murray moves that Western SRC allocate up to $1000 for catering food for any SARF and/or PRF convened by Western SRC in 2017.
b. Seconded by,
14. Conference Attendance
15. General Business
a. Student Rep vacancies and lacking identified Residential representative on Western SRC
b. Reporting back from Academic Senate (Jack and Grant)
16. Issues Tracking, Acting Secretary’s Comments & Meeting Close